Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sunken Rubies: Raspberries in a Browned Butter Tart


It is not easy to pass up luscious-looking berries.  Once a week I waddle over to the square in front of St. Joseph's church and fill my granny tote with fresh farm milk, lake trout, and some of the home-grown produce that looks particularly tempting.  This week I couldn't resist buying some ripe "himbeeren" (raspberries) along with my salad items, but once I returned home I wasn't quite sure what to do with them.  These berries were just right for snacking, but a pregnant woman's belly is only so spacious, and I didn't want these little gems to go the way of other well-intentioned purchases: molding in the back of my refrigerator.  Luckily I happened upon this recipe from the Bon Appetit website and it came out beautifully.  The shortbread crust is a breeze to assemble, and the rest of it is easy as...pie.  The butter content is staggering, but makes a cup of cold milk on the side or a scoop of vanilla ice cream all the more scrumptious.

No comments:

Post a Comment